Monday, June 29, 2009

Polymer Clay Rose - Part 2

This is where I left off on my rose making venture.

The rose is still unbaked and I used a head pin to make the hole.

I decided where I wanted the hole to be. I wanted the rose to be in the best direction for the finished product. There isn't a right or wrong, it's just personal preference. Then I just inserted the head pin. I removed the pin before baking.

This is a reference picture to show the actual size of the roses.

I used Sculpey for these roses. I baked them according to the directions but they discolored. It didn't seem to matter in the end.


Once baked, I sanded the backs of the roses to make them flat and smooth.


Then I painted the roses using regular acrylic craft paint and a well loved paint brush. It took several coats to get the effect I wanted. Plus, I kept finding spots in the crevices where I had missed.
Once I was satisfied with the color, I let them dry completely. Then I sprayed them with a clear coat to protect them and make them shiny.
I know there are polymer clay artists that are cringing right now - lol. I am sure there are paints and clear coats that are made for polymer clay. However, I just used what I already had.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of the items in my Etsy store. Stop by!!! http://www.baremoose.etsy.com