About Me

My photo

To visit my Etsy shops:

Jewelry - BareMoose

Jewelry Supplies - SecretSolaceSupplies

Crochet - RoseCottageCrochet 


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Altered Book - Clay Rose

I made this book to, well, look like a book.
This altered book holds a secret.
(I will post a tutorial soon on an altered book that I will make into a keepsake box)

For this book I used - a book, a ruler, a craft knife, wax paper, gel glue, fabric, ribbon and a clay rose.
To start, I had to decide where I wanted to make a niche for the surprise. I also made a tiny niche for the clay rose.
When I make this type of altered book, I select a book that has at least 3 entire novels within it. I leave the first novel in the book completely unaltered. That way it can actually be read.
This particular book is a Reader's Digest - Select Editions which I purchased at a local thrift store.
I opened the book to the first page of the 2nd novel and placed wax paper between the pages. I closed the book and applied gel glue around the edges of the bottom portion. This makes a solid block of pages to cut out a niche.
I put a heavy object on the book and allowed the glue to dry.
I don't measure the niche, I just start cutting. I used the ruler as a straight edge to guide the craft knife. I run the craft knife a few times over each side of the niche, remove the pages and repeat. I stopped when the niche was as deep as I wanted it.
**HINT** - Do not press extremely hard on the craft knife. The first time I cut a niche, I pressed really hard thinking I could hurry it along. The tip of my index finger was numb for several months and the niche was a mess.**
Next, I applied the same gel glue inside the niche - both of them. It makes them stable.
I know what your thinking! Your thinking "Bare, that's a rather ugly niche you have there". Not to worry, I will fix it.

See, all fixed.
I glued fabric inside of the large niche and applied ribbon around the edges.
I didn't decorate the small niche because I love the way the clay rose looks on the words. I glued the rose in the niche with the gel glue.

I now have an altered book that still looks like a book and can even be read.
It will hide a small gift and the recipient will think the book is the gift.
( The book wouldn't stay open, my moose friend had to hold it open so I could take pictures!! )
What do you think????










4 comments:

  1. Dear friend !
    1.We can offer all kinds of wholesale watch. We offer safe delivery and best service,low price and good quality.
    2.We have excellent customer service team, which could solve online various problems about wholesale watches we provide in 24 hours.
    3.We have perfect Logistics system, which guarantees all the ordered replica watches are delivered to you in good shape as fast as possible.Communicate with us.You will be very satisfied! Hope we can do long-term business in near future.
    Welcome to our website for more details.
    wholesale watch
    Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling
    Tag Heuer
    Cartier

    A Lange & Sohne
    Audemars Piguet
    Baume Mercier
    Bregue
    Bvlgari
    Chopard
    Concord
    Corum
    Dior
    Gucci
    IWC watches
    Jaeger LeCoultre
    Longines
    Oris
    Patek Philippe
    Panerai
    Rado
    Raymond Weil
    Tissot watches

    Vacheron Constantin
    Zenith
    Piaget
    Louis Vuitton
    Mont Blanc
    replica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez - have I been spammed???
    Well, at least I know I am worthy of a spam.
    LOL - too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, my spam comments are my favorite. Some are really hilarious.

    Anyway. REALLY cool tutorial! I've always wanted a hideaway book. Now, I need to find a cool old hardcover to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that spam is terrible!!

    but anyway! i loved seeing this tutorial! it turned out so cool! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Some of the items in my Etsy store. Stop by!!! http://www.baremoose.etsy.com